Old Maps of Main Street,High Street, Kirktoun, Church St. & Calder ST. 

When viewing the relevant street, you can open a new browser window showing the map.

Main Street at different points in time, bottom is 1856, then 1895, 1911 and finally 1965. It is curious how the street name has changed over time

1897

1856

Select image for more information

1965

1911

High Street

The library is not shown in the first map which was surveyed in 1856 and published in 1858. The library, or more accurately, the school as it was then was built in 1857 by McDowall of Garthland. He had vacated Castle Semple by this time.

Select image for more information

1965

1911

1897

1856

Around Kirktoun

The area around Auld Simon / East End shows significant changes between 1865 and 1965, not only in terms of buildings but also the road layout. It changes from almost being a T junction at Auld Simon to the sweeping curve it is today.

Select image for more information

1965

1911

1897

1856

Church Street & Calder Street

This montage shows some of the significant changes to the layout of the village. Many have taken place by 1911. These include the building of the Keanie buildings in Church Street. The coming of the railway and the properties that were demolished to make way for it

Select image for more information

1965

1911

1897

1856